We’re officially 4 weeks into the NFL season and we’re starting to get a better idea of what positions teams will be needing to address in the draft next off season. Based primarily of team needs and the idea of taking the best player available, here’s my second mock draft of the season, based on the current NFL standings.
- Cleveland Browns: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
- San Francisco 49ers: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
- New York Giants: Connor Williams, OT, Texas
- Los Angeles Chargers: Sam Darnold, QB, USC
- Cincinnati Bengals: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
- Indianapolis Colts: Arden Key, DE, LSU
- Chicago Bears: Derwin James, S, Florida State
- Miami Dolphins: Tavarus McFadden, CB, Florida State
- Arizona Cardinals: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
- Baltimore Ravens: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
- Seattle Seahawks: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
- Cleveland Browns - from Houston Texans: Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
- Dallas Cowboys: Harold Landry, DE, Boston College
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson
- New York Jets: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
- New Orleans Saints: Clein Ferrell, DE, Clemson
- Oakland Raiders: Jerome Baker, LB, Ohio State
- Minnesota Vikings: Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma
- Washington Redskins: Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
- Tennessee Titans: Bradley Chubb, DE, North Carolina State
- New England Patriots: Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
- Los Angeles Rams: Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
- Philadelphia Eagles: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
- Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn
- Carolina Panthers: Dorance Armstrong, DE, Kansas
- Denver Broncos: Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
- Green Bay Packers: Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State
- Detroit Lions: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
- Buffalo Bills: Ronald Jones, RB, USC
- Atlanta Falcons: Mitch Hyatt, OT, Clemson
- Buffalo Bills - from Kansas City Chiefs: Deon Cain, WR, Clemson
Saquon Barkley has cemented himself as the best football player in this draft class, and the best running back prospect in years. He’s a freak athlete, a powerful and yet shifty runner, a great pass catcher, and he can even throw the ball (he has 1 touchdown pass this season). He has the potential to be the first running back taken number 1 since another former Penn State back, Ki-Jana Carter, back in 1995.
I have 5 quarterbacks going in the first round right now, despite all 5 having their fair share of struggles so far this season. Still, this is a talented class, headlines by top prospects Rosen and Darnold. Josh Allen and Jarrett Stidham have a ton of potential based on their physical traits, and Mason Rudolph has been one of the most productive signal callers in Big 12 history.
The offensive line class, unlike last year, is strong this year. Connor Williams, despite suffering a knee injury that will cost him his season, is still the top dog, assuming his recovery goes as planned.
Arden Key is one of the most intriguing prospects in this class. He is an elite talent as a pass rusher, but he briefly left the LSU football team during the summer, and is also coming off shoulder surgery. This may leave scouts questioning his passion for the game.