1. (Chris Sale) 21-5 2.68 ERA
2. (Rick Porcello) 16-7 3.01 ERA
3. (David Price) 18-9 3.25 ERA
4. (Steven Wright) 5-6 5.25 ERA
5. (Eduardo Rodriguez) 11-7 3.75 ERA
It’s crazy that for the second season in a row the Boston Red Sox will have one of their starters win the Cy Young. The Price is right? Not quite yet, but he will have a solid year. (HE WILL WIN A PLAYOFF GAME). The Cy Young on the staff this year will be newly acquired Chris Sale. He has the nastiest cutter in the league and I’m not talking about scissors. (it’s a slider, but that wouldn’t make a good joke). Steven Wright had a great season last year and he deserves all the success he had, but with the knuckleball being so unpredictable that I can’t say confidently that he will have another all-star season. E-rod - The knee… the uncertainty. What he will become? Hopefully a formable number 5 starter in this rotation. Rick Porcello won’t win 20 games this year but he will be a huge piece to this lefty heavy rotation.
(Once the bullpen is set I will put predictions out)
- Joe Kelly
- Matt Barnes
- Robbie Ross Jr
- Drew Pomeranz
- Carson Smith (Injured)
- Tyler Thornburg
- Craig Kimbrel
1.(Dustin Pedroia) BA .322 16 HR’s 88 RBI’s 2B
2. (Andrew Benintendi) BA .295 21 HR’s 69 RBI’s LF
3. (Mookie Betts) BA .315 35 HR’s 117 RBI’s RF
4. (Hanley Ramirez) BA .285 37 HR’s 128 RBI’s DH
5. (Xander Bogaerts) BA .290 20 HR’s 85 RBI’s SS
6. (Pablo Sandoval) BA .279 14 HR’s 55 RBI’s 3B
7. (Mitch Moreland) BA .265 23 HR’s 75 RBI’s 1B
8. (Christian Vasquez) BA .245 8 HR’s 39 RBI’s C
9. (Jackie Bradley Jr) BA .250 20 HR’s 70 RBI’s CF
These projections for Christian Vasquez are obviously pending him getting the starting gig or not. I’d love to say Mookie will win MVP this year but it appears the Mike Trout will be taking home the WAR award again this year. Hopefully Hanley will feel right at home at the DH spot, I do believe he can put up similar numbers to Ortiz, or at least I hope he can.
- Sandy Leon / Blake Swihart
- Chris Young
- Brock Holt
- Josh Rutledge
Probably the most puzzling thing about this Red Sox team this season is the roster layout. Where is Blake Swihart going to fit in? It appears there will be an open competition between the three catchers I listed above. I envision they really want Vasquez to breakout this season from an offensive standpoint, because he has already proven he can call a solid game behind the plate and has a rocket for an arm. As far the other two go, I’m lost. Sandy Leon had a breakout year, something none of us saw coming. Can he do that again? I’m not so sure he can, and honestly, I really want Blake Swihart to get a chance on this club.
As for the playoffs, to be continued….
Make sure to check out my coverage and opinions of the Boston Red Sox throughout the 2017 MLB season. Follow me on Twitter @ShawnPalmer93